Thoughts on minimalism






I really love readings other blogs on minimalist living, and The Everyday Minimalist is one of my favourites (check it out if you haven't already!).
They illustrate a simple theory that makes life much easier and richer, concentrating on esperiences rather than possessions.

I am really fascinated by the idea of living on less. I already try to do my best not buying more stuff than my place can reasonably contain (reasonably meaning that closets and drawers must not overflow, and everything must be clean and tidy). Boyfriend is much better than me at that: I love watching him when he goes shopping - like, twice a year, and mosly during sales season.
He knows exactly what he needs and in what color. He checks three or four stores, then settles on what he likes best. I whish I had that discipline - or better, a that complete disinterest in fashion.

I have found that when I deliberately choose not to buy something, because I already have a similar one/I don't have space for another one/I can use something else instead of that, there is a weird feeling inside me, and a pleasurable one at that.
As if, deciding not to buy something, I am a little more free and independent. And also, a little bit more conscious of how much I already have and I am blessed with, and how little money I actually need to live well, because I am lucky enough to have all I really need.

Perhaps I am writing this to convince myself that it's actually easy to be on a shopping ban! And really, it is, if I think there is something good to look forward, like an evening with friends or a walk in the cold with a loved one.

Comments

Sherin said…
I've always wanted the minimalist life, but I always manage to buy something when I go out. I'd love to think that I could do it though.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday links

Taking Stock

BDIB - Arm Party!